Saturday 9 October 2010

Happy Birthday to me!

Well, yesterday was my birthday and so as a special treat I was allowed to lay the screed on one of the floors!  It was actually my idea not Bob's - he's not that much of a slave driver!  I didn't think it'd take quite as long as it did though - I thought we'd be done by lunchtime and could have the rest of the day off!  Ha, ha!!  By the time we had done all the bits and bobs it was nearly lunchtime.  Once again, this was a learning experience and so took longer than it probably should.  As far as I can tell though, it looks pretty smooth and level which will make laying the floorboards or tiles much easier, so probably worth spending a bit of time to get it right.  Next one should be quicker . . . . I hope. 

We finished at about 5.30pm just as our friends arrived, so a chaotic clear up and guided tour for them then a bit of a relax and a beer in the caravan opening presents and cards.  Then off to the pub in the next village for a much needed and very tasty meal followed by a few glasses of wine back here in the caravan.  Their van-bedroom looked quite snug and comfortable and apparently they slept really well.  They had a 'lugga-loo' in the van too, but we persuaded them to save that for when they were desparate!

We have done about two-thirds of the chestnut cladding, but have now run out of timber.  Hopefully we can get some more on Monday to finish off.  Just had a look and I haven't actually taken any photos of it yet.  Strange?  I think it might be because I was a little disappointed that the wood had gone a bit mouldy from being stacked in the wet.  Kicking ourselves for not thinking about it - we could even have stacked it in the house and kept it nice and dry.  So, instead of it being beautiful glowing wood, it looks a bit manky.  We're hoping it won't look so bad once it's dried out, but in any case longer term once it has greyed a bit you won't notice it.  What a shame - but I will take a photo, promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment