Thursday 18 August 2011

Windows and work

Well, I've just finished work and feeling a little weary.  It's all gone OK, everyone's really friendly and helpful, but there is astill a lot to take in and remember.  I'm sure in a couple of weeks I'll be wondering what I was worried about.  I've woken up very early the last couple of mornings and not been able to get back to sleep for trying to think what you do if someone wants to pay off their account or how you put this voucher or that through . . . . I'm sincerely hoping this will pass!  Today I was pretty much left to it on the tills - 2 hours on the express till (well, that's a laugh - hardly express just yet!) and 2 hours on an ordinary till.  In between I did some tidying, checking dates and shelf stacking.  I guess being thrown in at the deep end is the quickest way to learn, but I don't feel I've found my inner calm behind a till just yet!

We have now put the triangle window in, glass and all.  It looks really weird, no, no, no I don't mean that, what I mean is it looks really strange.  To be able to see out clearly is very strange, having been used to the burglar-proof plastic for so long.  Bob had made the frame a very snug fit - of course - and so it did take a long time to get the frame in.  The main trouble was that the wall itself is made up of so many layers and, while they all seemed level when we did them, the tiniest variations meant that the frame just wouldn't go in and Bob had to trim here and there.  It's done now though and I've plasterboarded round it inside and it just needs some chestnut cladding up the sides on the outside.  Now I have to invent some sort of curtain for it . . . . . mmmm . . . . maybe a blind would be best, a kind of fan-shaped affair where one side goes up and down, but the other doesn't.  I'll ponder on that.  Talking of curtains, the sewing machine has new needles and I finished the bedroom curtains this morning and I'm really quite pleased with them.  The next window frame is well on the way (the other window in the timber extension) and I ordered the glass for it on my way to work today.  Again, Bob is having to do a deal of fiddling around to get it to fit nicely, but he should have that sorted tomorrow.


The triangle window from inside - with
someone peering in . . .  

. . . . but this peeping tom can't quite reach!


No comments:

Post a Comment